Let’s be honest, even the best of us need something to cheer us up this time of year. It’s cold, the days are short, and we rely too much on comfort food to beat away the winter blues. Why not embrace the winter months and take advantage of your down time?
Here are a few ways I like to unwind that may inspire you…
1) Hot Yoga – Hit up a great class in your neighbourhood, calm your mind, warm your body, and get off the couch. You will feel balanced, centered, and a whole lot better about your week by including this practice into your routine! My favorite hideouts are 889Yoga, Tula, and DownwardDog.
2) Download New Music – Music can feed the soul and help to either motivate you or help you wind down after a long day. My all time favorites for relaxing are Bon Iver, Nick Drake and The National.
3) Take a Hot Bath – Step 1: pour bath. Step 2: add music/candles/epsom salts/essential oils. Step 3: turn everything else off, including your mind. Step 4: enjoy.
4) Disconnect – Take a moment to disconnect from everything “tech” in your life. Turn off your phones, televisions, computers – whatever you need to relax and spend a little quality time with yourself.
5) Sweat – Nothing makes you feel better about yourself than being active. Hit the gym, a yoga studio, boxing class, or spin your heart out! Whatever you choose to stay active remember, you’ll only regret the workouts you don’t do!
Alex Angle is the owner and principal RMT at Local Fix Toronto.